Saturday 14 July 2012

Fixing eglibc/manual Makefile rules

In my last blog, I cheated a bit, as I said that "I had to edit manual/Makefile, splitting the implicit and explicit make rules".

At the time, I hadn't actually done this, but the process was reasonably straightforward. Line 235 of manual/Makefile contained the line:


$(objpfx)stubs ../po/manual.pot $(objpfx)stamp%:

The % on the end of the third target makes it an implicit rule, whereas the other two targets are explicit (or normal). The fix was simply to duplicate the steps against separate targets; one explicit and one implicit. This is in fact how the Makefile looks in later versions of eglibc.


When I came to make install eglibc, I still encountered problems with it failing to build the manual (which I didn't want anyway). I tried downloading the source for the manual, but that didn't fix it. Instead I made another edit to the Makefile, changing the subdir_install target (line 181) to be empty (removing the "install" dependency).

Following this all built smoothly and I now have a working stage3 compiler!

No comments:

Post a Comment